Friday, November 18, 2005

Remains of the b-day

Dear Marc, I wonder if you're like me, spending lots of money on things you think will make your life just a little bit more perfect. Why else would anyone spend 40 dollars on a scented candle? I spend more than I should, but I don't think I'm the only one who's had to break out the company Visa to buy diapers cause I used up my household resources buying shoes. I'm getting old and thinking of all the things I've bought during the years makes me dizzy. I think I'm trying to reach the sensation I had as a kid on my birthday. You know the "you got me this?!!!! Get outta here! I can't believe it, I'm so lucky". I remember my 5th birthday when I got both a toy dog AND a doll. Those were the days.

I've had 20+ birthdays since, and can't even remember half of them. And of all the gifts, one of my most treasured mementoes is a card from my grandmother on my 8th b-day. Here it is.


In all the cities you've been to, all the stores you've frequented, did you ever see anything so beautiful? Probably not. I'm still chasing the feeling I got when opening the envelope. Now I'm trying to create it for my daughter, with the help of pastry frogs. Should I hope for it to work, or am I creating another shopaholic? Make that two, the way our son is gawking at the frog.



Chasing happiness through objects is futile, I know. Tom Ford summed it up nicely when he said "From the time we're born until we die, we're kept busy with artificial stuff that isn't important."

But sometimes you get a card that is pure magic.
What do you wish for?

love
-e

ps. My daughter just told me she wants to be a princess, soaking in the bathtub. Coincidentally, that's what I want to be. Small world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am forever surrounding myself with "artificial stuff that isn't important". I'm something of an expert in it, in fact. And it makes me crazy as often as it makes me happy. Your birthday card Exhibit Q made me happier than most of the consumer goods/crap I've acquired over the years. Most of all, I love that frog and the expressions on your kids' faces. That's happiness you can take with you without dragging all those damn credit card balances along. Good priorities, e.